Thursday, November 15, 2007

Aerobatic Trial Flight

Well after a 15 month period of no flying, I've decided to finally get back into it. Money is in the bank, and its there to burn, so I'm keen to get back in the seat. Being the school holidays I was moping round home as usual, so booked in for an aerobatic trial flight.

A few days later, I was strapping myself into one of new Alpha 160 aerobatic trainers. Most people seem to have a 'pet hate' when doing things, and mine happens to be harnesses. Luckily for me, the Alphas have 5 point harnesses, which will take a bit of geting use to.

Anyway, I told the instructor about my previous flight experience and said I could do most of the flying, which was cool. Anyway, soon we were at full power down the runway. With an exta 50 (ish) HP than the 152's I was used to, it was certainly a exciting experience. I flew us out and was told I flew OK for someone who hasn't flown for so long.

The instructor then took over the controls to do the aerobatic manouvers. They were similar to the ones I did back in the 'Basic Stalls' lesson, but just as awsome. We started off with a couple of rolls, which is always a good intro because of the low g-forces. I think we then did a spin, in which the plane nose dives and the plane spins around. Increases the heart rate, thats for sure. We then finished off with a loop or two. Before heading home, I got to do a roll myself, which wasnt too bad, before flying us back to Hamilton to shutdown.

Overall a great flight.

Flying time: 0.7 hrs
Total flying time: 8.9 hrs

No comments: