Saturday, October 27, 2007

Lesson Five: Descending

This was to be my fifth flying lesson, descending. In the briefing we covered things such as the effects of wind directions on the descent, gliding, and effects on the engine that descending has, such as spark plug fouling at low RPM.

On our engine run up we suffered a minor problem with our right magneto which was very rough running, but that problem was soon corrected by increasing power to 2000 RPM and we leaned out the fuel mixture for half a minute or so, which magically cleared the engine. I was the only person with my feet on the brakes so I made sure my feet didn't slip off them because we would soon be accelerating down the taxiway (cruise power during flight is just 300 RPM more)!

This lesson the instructor let me take off by myself which was awesome, I just need to pull back on the yoke a bit faster, other then that it was pretty good. (better than pulling back too fast, I guess).

Soon we were in the air and we headed out to the area to practice descending. Like the other lessons the instructor showed me how to do a descent, and then I had a go at it, using the P.A.T. mneumonic yet again, and we practiced both glide and cruise descents for the rest of the lesson. There isn't really a lot you can talk about climbing and descending, as it's pretty self explanatory.

Highlight would definitely being able to take off by myself for the first time, that was quite a feeling.

No comments: